Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Home Improvement Project: Staircase Landing Part 2

With limited time recently due to work load, visiting various sites for mock ups and discussion, juggling different projects in hand at the same time and so many activities to attend during the weekend, my blog kicked off, but without much update. Here I shall continue the story of my home improvement project.

We’ll, my family friend, the carpenter paid me a short visit last weekend. He took his trusty measuring tape and gave the mentioned location a quick check. Sure enough, his finding is same as mine. So we had a short discussion, with me flipping through some old ID magazines and books which I bought a couple of years ago when I bought this house. Showed him the type of concept of my liking (mostly tropical/resort/oriental type of design) and discussed on the method to achieve such storage. We discussed about the inner details and also about the choice of wood for doors. The doors, will be ventilated type similar to those you can easily find in a hotel room wardrobe, which is quite resort/tropical like. My home design theme was inclined toward tropical/resort/oriental kind of with some hint of modern/contemporary touches. In Malaysia, it is sometimes called “Rojak”, where we try to mix in everything together.

He made some sketch with a pen and paper, put down the measurements and gave me a quick quote on the spot. The best thing I like about traditional carpenter, they do not need to have any CAD drawing or 3D visualization to have the furniture and pieces built for you. You just need to show them photos or show them the actual thing and they can customize you a piece that fits in to your unique space perfectly.

As I have previously made some budgetary calculation on my own with the price list I got from IKEA, both IKEA + Custom made front door and a total custom made piece end up to similar cost. I gave a green light to him to go ahead.

Next trip, he will be bringing me stain swatches to choose the wood stain to go with the door and furniture parts.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment